Fueling children is the first step in supporting their learning and development. The A. Sophie Rogers School’s nutrition program offers engaging educational opportunities that center around gardening and healthy food choices.
Features of the program include:
- Designing, planting, and keeping gardens
- Harvesting, preparing and sharing the food grown
- Enjoying family-style meals together
- Sharing valuable mealtime conversations
Our nutrition program:
- Offers full breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks daily
- Makes fresh infant foods daily
- Prepares all foods onsite in the Schoenbaum Family Center kitchen by our chef, including allergen-free foods for children who require them
- Patterns after the Mediterranean diet with whole grains and beans, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, lean meats, and fish
- Gets all milk from cows not treated with the rBST growth hormone
- Grows multiple themed gardens in our courtyards, including a “salsa,” “pizza,” and “pickle” garden, for children to connect to menu items being served
- Provides a wide variety of organic fresh fruits and vegetables grown in our own courtyard gardens that expand children’s taste experiences and are used in our daily salad bar
- Composts kitchen fruit and vegetable scraps in our worm garden and uses a composting bin to break down garden bed scraps, which then is used to revitalize the gardens
Check out our latest posts from Chef Mark’s kid-friendly recipe ideas to fun ways to learn about food.
AT-HOME RECIPE: Chocolate Coated Banana Bites
CHOCOLATE COATED BANANA BITES CHOCOLATE COATING Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips1/2 cup coconut oil Directions: Place chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave at 10-second increments until melted. Stir after each 10 second period. (Alternate method) Place chips in a small stainless steel bowl and melt over a double boiler until melted.Stir…
Continue Reading AT-HOME RECIPE: Chocolate Coated Banana Bites
AT-HOME RECIPE: Ice Cream
ICE CREAM Ingredients: 3 cups strawberries, sliced frozen 1/2 cup sugar, granulated 1 t. lemon zest 1 1/2 cups half and half Directions: Place strawberries, sugar, and zest into a food processor. Process until smooth but still frozen. Remove from processor and place into a bowl. Whisk in half and half until smooth. Enjoy.
At-HOME RECIPE: Beef for Tacos or Nachos
BEEF FOR TACOS OR NACHOS Ingredients: 1 # ground beef 1 small onion 2 garlic cloves 1 T. cumin, ground 2 t. paprika, ground 2 t. salt 1 t. pepper Directions: Brown ground beef in a medium skillet until cooked, drain excess oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until the onions turn clear.…